The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is advising all road users to take extra care when using the roads as Met Éireann has issued Orange weather warnings for Thunderstorms and very heavy showers producing significant rainfall accumulations over short time periods from 1pm to 6pm today Tuesday 20 June.
Possible impacts are
- Flash flooding
- Very difficult travelling conditions with reduced visibility
- Power outages
The RSA is asking road users to check local weather and traffic conditions and be aware of the conditions before setting out on a trip.
The following advice is being given to road users on foot of the weather warnings. Motorists;
- Drivers need to slow down and allow a greater braking distance between themselves and the vehicle in front in wet weather conditions. This is especially important on high speed roads such as dual carriageways and motorways where there is increased danger of aquaplaning
- Take special care when driving behind goods vehicles as they generate a considerable amount of spray which reduces your visibility, hold back to where you can see their mirrors.
- If the road ahead is flooded choose another route, do not attempt to drive through it. Flooded roads that appear shallow could be deeper than you think. The verge may have subsided and there may also be trees or branches that have fallen that may not be visible.
- Road users should always follow recommended routes and obey signs closing roads to traffic that have been put there by the local council or An Garda Síochána.
- After going through water, drive slowly with your foot on the brake pedal for a short distance – this helps to dry the brakes.
- Drive with dipped headlights at all times.
Advice to Pedestrians, Cyclists and motorcyclists;
- Visibility and light is reduced in poor weather conditions. Keep safe by making sure you can be seen. Wear bright clothing and consider wearing high visibility material.
- Walk on the right-hand side of the road, facing traffic if there are no footpaths.
- Cyclist should ensure that they and their bike are visible to other road users by investing in a good set of front and rear lights (white at the front, red at the back) and by wearing clothes that help you be seen on your bike, consider wearing high visibility material.
For more weather updates, visit Met Eireann’s website: www.met.ie